[Unbound-users] questions/comments: rc.d scripts / chroot requires /etc/resolv.conf?
Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
2015-06-06 11:28:30 UTC
hi, I'm just looking through the rc.d scripts in contrib/ in the source
package, and I'm just wondering: why copy over /etc/resolv.conf into the
chroot? Surely unbound doesn't actually rely on that to do anything?

Doing a quick test also seems to show that unbound still works without
resolv.conf in the chroot.

-jf

--
He who settles on the idea of the intelligent man as a static entity only
shows himself to be a fool.
Jeffrey 'jf' Lim

-jf
Tarko Tikan
2015-06-09 17:53:44 UTC
hey,
Post by Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
Hello, anybody?
We run all our resolvers without resolv.conf in the chroot, no issues.

Looking at debian init scripts, they also only copy /etc/unbound over to
chroot.
tarko
Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
2015-06-22 04:32:35 UTC
Post by Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
hey,
Hello, anybody?
We run all our resolvers without resolv.conf in the chroot, no issues.
Looking at debian init scripts, they also only copy /etc/unbound over to
chroot.
thanks, Thomas and Tarko. I appreciate the answers.

@Thomas: running unbound with resolv.conf in the chroot seems to work just
fine, hence my question. I'm not so concerned about the difference as I am
about whether unbound works or not. And as my own experience has been,
unbound works without resolv.conf.

@Tarko: that's certainly surprising. Can you check whether the chroot has
/dev/random or /dev/urandom?

thanks,
-jf
Tarko Tikan
2015-06-27 10:01:11 UTC
hey,
Post by Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
@Tarko: that's certainly surprising. Can you check whether the chroot
has /dev/random or /dev/urandom?
Of course it has /dev/random (it also has /dev/null), I was only
speaking about configs in /etc.

Init script doesn't take care of it, I think I mknoded them manually
when setting up the chroot.
--
tarko