[Unbound-users] Only forward specific query to the Forwarding zone
seb astien
2014-04-08 09:15:10 UTC
Hello,

Not sure if i can ask my question here, since i suppose it's more general
than just unbound related.

I'm trying to set up a system that i tought was easy.

I've a lan, with a unbound dns resolving lan.domain.net and everything on
the internet, for the local users.
Everything works fine at that point.

Here is a snippet of my configuration file

include: "/var/unbound/etc/zone-lan.conf"

that contains

local-zone: "lan.domain.net" static
local-data: xxxxxxx

Now, my goal is to forward all query for a different subdomain (
virtu.domain.net) to a different dns servers and ONLY that sort of query.

Here's the related configuration part

local-zone: "virtu.domain.net" transparent
forward-zone:
name: "virtu.domain.net."
forward-addr: 10.0.20.5

The thing is, all sort of query are forwarded to that server (see them with
tcpdump, dropbox, gmail...), and some are not (vm1.virtu.domain.net).
I rate as working 80% of the time.

Is the unbound part of my configuration ok ?

Another problem is that some windows got the virtu.domain.net as the
primary dns server...

The dhcp configuration is:

shared-network lan.domain.net {

option domain-name "lan.domain.net";
option domain-name-servers 10.0.1.254;
[...]

Thank you for your help and apology for my english.

Regards,
Over Dexia
2014-04-08 10:51:10 UTC
(virtu.domain.net <http://virtu.domain.net>) to a different dns servers
and ONLY that sort of query.
Here's the related configuration part
local-zone: "virtu.domain.net <http://virtu.domain.net>" transparent
name: "virtu.domain.net <http://virtu.domain.net>."
forward-addr: 10.0.20.5
In my setup, this would look like this:

server:
private-domain: virtu.domain.net

stub-zone:
name: virtu.domain.net
stub-addr: 10.0.20.5

Best regards, jo

PS: Microsoft client name server selection is a quite untameable beast,
I'm afraid...
Chris Smith
2014-04-08 15:40:37 UTC
Post by seb astien
local-zone: "virtu.domain.net" transparent
name: "virtu.domain.net."
forward-addr: 10.0.20.5
The thing is, all sort of query are forwarded to that server (see them with
tcpdump, dropbox, gmail...), and some are not (vm1.virtu.domain.net).
I rate as working 80% of the time.
man unbound.conf should explain the error of using the "transparent"
line when you want all such queries to be forwarded
Chris Smith
2014-04-08 15:46:30 UTC
Post by Chris Smith
man unbound.conf should explain the error of using the "transparent"
line when you want all such queries to be forwarded
Just to add that you "forward" to resolvers (recursive) and use
stub-zones to authoritative (non-recursive) servers.

Chris
seb astien
2014-04-08 18:53:36 UTC
Thank you both for your help, i will do some more test with stub-zone (that
i try) and changing local-zone from transparent to static (that i did try
too).

I didn't know

server:
private-domain: virtu.domain.net