[Unbound-users] unbound newbie setup
Subba Rao
2014-12-14 07:17:39 UTC

I am trying to setup "unbound" on my netbook which is a client on my
home network. I use this netbook for travel so the dhcp address I use
will be different at different places. The netbook is running Linux
Mint 17.1 (Rebecca).

I installed "unbound" but am having problem with configuration which is
posted below. My /etc/resolv.conf has the following entries

nameserver 127.0.0.1
search home.net

When I start my computer, the unbound starts as a service. At this
point I cannot go anywhere on the Net or get any system updates. Once I
stop the unbound service, I can go out onto the Internet and get updates.

Please let me know how to fix this problem. My goal is to have a
recursive caching server on my netbook.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Subba Rao

PS - I would also like to include AD blockers (at the bottom of the
config) into this configuration at a later stage. At first I want
unbound to work.
------------- unbound.conf -------------

# Unbound configuration file for Debian.
#
# See the unbound.conf(5) man page.
#
# See /usr/share/doc/unbound/examples/unbound.conf for a commented
# reference config file.
#
# The following line includes additional configuration files from the
# /etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d directory.
include: "/etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/*.conf"

server:
verbosity: 1
## Specify the interface address to listen on:
# interface: 10.0.0.1
## To listen on all interfaces use:
interface: 0.0.0.0

root-hints: /etc/unbound/root.hints

forward-zone:
name: "."

# Google
forward-addr: 8.8.8.8
forward-addr: 8.8.4.4

# OpenDNS
forward-addr: 208.67.222.222
forward-addr: 208.67.220.220

# Level 3 Communications
forward-addr: 4.2.2.1
forward-addr: 4.2.2.2
forward-addr: 4.2.2.3
forward-addr: 4.2.2.4
forward-addr: 4.2.2.5
forward-addr: 4.2.2.6

# Blocking Ad Server domains. Google's AdSense, DoubleClick and Yahoo
# account for a 70 percent share of all advertising traffic. Block them.
# local-zone: "doubleclick.net" redirect
# local-data: "doubleclick.net A 127.0.0.1"
# local-zone: "googlesyndication.com" redirect
# local-data: "googlesyndication.com A 127.0.0.1"
# local-zone: "googleadservices.com" redirect
# local-data: "googleadservices.com A 127.0.0.1"
# local-zone: "google-analytics.com" redirect
# local-data: "google-analytics.com A 127.0.0.1"
# local-zone: "ads.youtube.com" redirect
# local-data: "ads.youtube.com A 127.0.0.1"
# local-zone: "adserver.yahoo.com" redirect
# local-data: "adserver.yahoo.com A 127.0.0.1"
Sonic
2014-12-14 15:10:50 UTC
Post by Subba Rao
I installed "unbound" but am having problem with configuration which is
posted below. My /etc/resolv.conf has the following entries
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search home.net
When I start my computer, the unbound starts as a service. At this
point I cannot go anywhere on the Net or get any system updates. Once I
stop the unbound service, I can go out onto the Internet and get updates.
For starters it seems like you have a competing DNS service running.
From your /etc/resolv there's no way you should be able to satisfy DNS
queries by asking your localhost unless you have a DNS cache of some
sort running which you claim to be able to do once stopping Unbound.
Some distros run dnsmasq by default (not a good practice IMO) and it's
possible that's at least part of your problem.

Chris
Subba Rao
2014-12-14 16:35:54 UTC
Post by Sonic
Post by Subba Rao
I installed "unbound" but am having problem with configuration which is
posted below. My /etc/resolv.conf has the following entries
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search home.net
When I start my computer, the unbound starts as a service. At this
point I cannot go anywhere on the Net or get any system updates. Once I
stop the unbound service, I can go out onto the Internet and get updates.
For starters it seems like you have a competing DNS service running.
Post by Subba Rao
From your /etc/resolv there's no way you should be able to satisfy DNS
queries by asking your localhost unless you have a DNS cache of some
sort running which you claim to be able to do once stopping Unbound.
Some distros run dnsmasq by default (not a good practice IMO) and it's
possible that's at least part of your problem.
How do I make my dhcp address stays the same, so that I can go out but
change the nameserver lookup to use the unbound?

Subba Rao
Yuri Schaeffer
2014-12-14 20:48:16 UTC